Town's Historical Markers

Town's Historical Markers

Tour our Town's Historical Markers: (click on each for larger image)

Saratoga Springs Air Force Station
Saratoga Springs Air Force Station

The hill above was the location of a cold war early warning radar site built as part of a system designed to defend the United States against enemy air attacks.

Yellow Meeting House
Yellow Meeting House
Located on the corner of route 75 and VanNess Road. The Congregational Church was formed at Canaan, Connecticut on June 26, 1752 and arrived in Stillwater in June of 1762. The cemetery is located there.
The First Baptist Church
The First Baptist Church
Located on route 423 just east of the corner of route 75. This group of Baptists came from Rhode Island in 1762. This church was called the “mother church” of several others that were formed in the area.
The burial site of Elder Lemuel Powers
The burial site of Elder Lemuel Powers
He served as the pastor of this church until his passing in 1800. He served also as a leader of the founding of the Baptist Churches.
Birthplace of Abigail Powers Fillmore
Birthplace of Abigail Powers Fillmore
The historical marker depicting the birthplace of Abigail Powers Fillmore is located on the corner of Munger Hill Road and Gronczniak Road off route 423. Abigail was born there in 1798 and was the youngest daughter of Lemuel and Abigail Powers and later married Millard Fillmore, 13th president of the United States.
The Hamlet of Ketchum’s Corners
The Hamlet of Ketchum’s Corners
Located on County Road 70. Joel Ketchum, a member of the Orange County Militia settled in the area after the battles.
The Knox Trail
The Knox Trail

The Knox Trail marker in Bemis Heights is located in the pocket park on the corner of routes 4 and 32.Henry Knox came through Stillwater on his way to Boston with the cannon. He stayed overnight at the Ezekiel Ensign hotel just north of here.

The Home of Rensselaer Schuyler
The Home of Rensselaer Schuyler

Located on Hudson Avenue south of the cannon park. He was the youngest son of General Philip Schuyler and was a mill owner.

The Stillwater Academy
The Stillwater Academy
The Stillwater Academy was located on what are now the grounds of the United Church. Founded in 1847 it was a private school. The marker is across from the Post Office on route 4 & 32.
The George Palmer
The George Palmer
Located on Palmer Street one block west of Hudson Avenue. Palmer was a mill owner and very active in the American Revolution and was responsible for the building of the sleds that took the cannon to Boston.
The Site of the First Fort
The Site of the First Fort

Was located approximately on this site on the corner of General Schuyler Lane and Hudson Avenue. This blockhouse fort was built in 1709.

Dirck Swart House
Dirck Swart House
Located on Hudson Avenue is one of the oldest homes. Swart, a friend of General Philip Schuyler used this as his headquarters while in charge of the northern army. He also served as the first clerk of Saratoga County.
Ferry Lane
Ferry Lane
Located just north of the Swart marker was used as the route to send the British and German troops to Boston after the surrender of Burgoyne in 1777.
Montgomery Masonic Lodge
Montgomery Masonic Lodge
Was located on the corner of Montgomery Place and Major Dickinson Avenue. The first floor of the loge rooms served as the first school in the village.
Mead’s Tavern
Mead’s Tavern
Located on the corner of Montgomery Place and Hudson Avenue served as the first meeting place for the new Saratoga Board of Supervisors in 1791.
The Earthworks
The Earthworks

Located on Hudson Avenue tells of the anticipation of the British arrival. This was orders by General Gates and later they were abandoned.

The United Church, Presbyterian
The United Church, Presbyterian

Located on Hudson Avenue just south of the corner of School Street. This was originally the Second Baptist Church until the merger of the Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian Churches in 1947

The Stillwater Blockhouse and Museum
The Stillwater Blockhouse and Museum
Located on Hudson Avenue was the original museum and visitors center on the battlefield. It was moved to this site in June of 1999.

 

© 2017 Town of Stillwater • 881 Hudson Ave. Stillwater, NY 12170 • TEL: (518) 664-6148 • FAX: (518) 664-9537